Today, a diverse coalition of 20 organizations and nearly 100 educators from across the country urged the House and Senate Appropriations Subcommittees on Labor, HHS, Education & Related Agencies to provide meaningful investments in programs that will support teachers and principals in creating schools where all students can succeed.
These organizations and individuals are now working with states, districts, and schools to prepare for implementation of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), which will initially be supported with FY2017 funding. Indeed, the coming year is particularly critical as the programs and activities that states, districts, and schools put in place will likely set the pattern for what is implemented and achieved over the full four-year ESSA authorization. With that imperative in mind, the coalition urges Congress to provide increased funding for the following federal programs:
- Supporting Effective Instruction State Grants (Title II-A)—$2.25 billion
- Teacher and School Leader Incentive Grants (TSLIG)—$250 million
- School Leader Recruitment and Support Program (SLRSP)—$30 million
- Education Research and Innovation (EIR)—$180 million
- Supporting Effective Educator Development (SEED)—$100 million
- Teacher Quality Partnership (TQP)—$125 million
Read the letter.