New York, NY — New Leaders Chief Executive Officer Jean Desravines has been appointed to the New NY Education Reform Commission established by Governor Andrew Cuomo. The commission will “recommend reforms to the state’s education system in order to improve performance in the classroom so that all of New York’s students are fully prepared for their futures.”
Desravines is joined on the commission by other nationally recognized education, community, and business leaders, including retired Chairman of Citigroup Richard (Dick) Parsons, who will chair the committee, Randi Weingarten of the AFT, Geoffrey Canada of the Harlem Children’s Zone, and NY State Education Commissioner John B. King, Jr.
Specifically, the commission is tasked with the following objectives:
- Find ways to improve teacher recruitment and performance, including the teacher evaluation system;
- Improve student achievement;
- Examine education funding, distribution and costs;
- Increase parent and family engagement in education;
- Examine the problem of high-need and low-wealth school communities;
- Find the best use of technology in the classroom; and
- Examine New York’s education system to ensure it meets the needs of students while respecting the taxpayer.
Desravines is honored to be included on this important commission focused on providing all New York students with the highest quality education.