The Roberts Award represents a one-time grant of $25,000 that can be used to fund an innovative project during the 2019-20 school year, or during the summer of 2020. Applications for the current cycle are due November 4, 2019. Awardees will be announced in December 2019.
Ten schools will each be awarded up to $25,000 to fund student enrichment projects a New Leader alum has identified as a priority for his or her students. Example projects include:
- CULTURE: Expanding arts access to foster students’ creative talents (e.g., art classes, museum programs, theater partnerships)
- STEM: Bolstering students understanding of science, technology, engineering and/or math (e.g., coding or programming classes, nature exploration, access to technology)
- SUMMER LEARNING: Engaging students in enriching and educational summer experiences to mitigate summer learning loss and/or support career exploration (e.g., summer camp, summer program scholarship coordinator, summer internship coordinator)
- HEALTH & WELLNESS: Encouraging healthy bodies and minds (e.g., nutrition initiatives, school gardens, swimming lessons, sports teams)
- COLLEGE READINESS: Expanding college access and post-secondary success through guidance and prep programs (e.g., access to SAT/ACT preparation courses, “travel fund” for college tours)
- SUPPLEMENTAL INSTRUCTION: Providing targeted academic support and tutoring (e.g., after-school programs, summer school programs)
The Roberts Award is open to current school leaders who have completed the New Leaders Aspiring Principals or Emerging Leaders programs. Winners will be selected based on the following criteria:
- The school leader has identified a clear enrichment need for a subset of children within the school and has developed a thoughtful project that will have a significant, measurable, and sustainable impact on the personal and academic growth of those students.
- The school’s principal has demonstrated a strong commitment to the New Leaders community.
- The school has a separate 501(c)3 to receive the funds directly, or can accommodate donation processing by some other means.
Additional questions? Log into the New Leaders Alumni Hub* to review Applications Guidelines, which includes answers to frequently asked questions. Other questions? Email AlumniEngagementTeam@newleaders.org.
*Didn’t receive an Alumni Hub launch message with your login credentials? Need other assistance accessing the Alumni Hub? Please contact AlumniEngagementTeam@newleaders.org.